- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Wash and dry the basil leaves.
2. Toast the pine nuts or walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant and lightly browned. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. In a food processor or blender, combine the basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and pine nuts or walnuts. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.
4. While the food processor or blender is running, slowly pour the olive oil into the mixture until it is well combined and smooth.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Transfer the pesto to a jar and store in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for up to a month.
Enjoy your homemade pesto on pasta, bread, pizza, or as a dip!