Caprese skewers are a delightful appetizer that combines the flavors of ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and fragrant basil. Here's a simple recipe to make Caprese skewers:
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Fresh mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic glaze
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Skewers (toothpicks or small skewers)
- Prepare the ingredients: Rinse the cherry or grape tomatoes and basil leaves. Drain the mozzarella balls if they were stored in liquid.
- Assemble the skewers: Take a toothpick or small skewer and slide on a tomato, followed by a folded basil leaf and a mozzarella ball. Repeat the process until you have assembled all the skewers.
- Season the skewers: Drizzle the assembled skewers with extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle them with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. You can also add some dried oregano or basil for extra flavor, if desired.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze: Just before serving, drizzle the Caprese skewers with balsamic glaze. This adds a tangy and sweet flavor to the dish.
- Serve and enjoy: Arrange the skewers on a serving platter and serve them immediately. Caprese skewers are best enjoyed fresh.
Note: If you prefer a different presentation, you can also alternate the ingredients on a larger skewer, such as a small bamboo skewer, creating a Caprese salad on a stick.
These Caprese skewers are perfect for parties, gatherings, or even as a light snack. Enjoy the combination of flavors and textures as you indulge in these delicious appetizers!